10.25.2006

The Greatest Internet Day Ever

Two things that I've just had to change my pants about:

1) Mozilla Firefox

Mozilla just updated their web browser, which some people think is way better than Microsoft's. It's awesome for a few little reasons that go a long way with me. First, multiple windows don't pile up on the bottom of the screen - there are tabs at the top of the browser that help you navigate your different pages. This is incredibly convenient. Second, it is infinitely customizable with so many hundreds of plug-ins available on it's website that do all sorts of stuff I don't understand. It downloaded all of my bookmarks, passwords and history to it as soon as I launched it, saving me tons of time. The list goes on... you all have to get it.

2) Pandora Internet Radio

This is what made me poop and pee in my pants about an hour ago. In Time this last week there was a little article about YouTube's buyout and what the next YouTube will be. There were a few cool examples in a little summary box, but what caught my eye was Pandora. Basically, it's an internet radio station that plays songs catered to your individual taste.

I went to the site and immediately it asked me for one of my favorite songs or bands. I put in Motion City Soundtrack and it started up with one of my favorite MCS songs. A little tab popped up to tell me about the basics of my music style that will be on this station. When the next song started (some Dishwalla song) the tab popped up again explaining why Pandora chose this song. You rate songs over and over again until you don't care anymore. It gets pretty in depth: "Based on what you've told us so far, we're playing this track because it features hard rock roots, punk influences, a subtle use of vocal harmony, extensive vamping and mixed acoustic and electric instrumentation."

Wow. Everyone has to try this just for twenty minutes, it's so so so cool.

2 comments:

Mike Sacks said...

Pandora is super dope. I bump that Mobb Deep shit son. For another emerging nerd music site, holla at qloud.com

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Pandora is money.

The new Firefox is good too. Recommended addons:

Adblock Plus
BugMeNot
Fasterfox
FoxyTunes
Showcase
Video Downloader