9.05.2008

Bringing Back the Geek


I love video games.  I grew up playing them, from the super old days of Number Crunchers on the old Apple IIes and Jumpman on 5 and 1/4 floppy disks on the old PC.  I always had a computer growing up and I used the hell out of it, especially in 5th grade through high school.  I was there for the Sierra games - Quest for Glory, Kings Quest, Robin Hood and the Lucasarts revolution - X-Wing, Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island.. I could go on forever.  The problem with these guys is that they don't work on today's computers - the clock speed is too fast and Windows built-in DOS interface can't slow it down.  Luckily, there's DOSBox.  This little app lets me run any old school game I can find in a little DOS window with little to no problems!  I've got Day of the Tentacle already and I'm working on figuring out how to fire up Quest for Glory.  It can be a little complicated but if you're in to old games it's totally worth it!


I've only recently got into torrents - I didn't get it at first and never had the time to research, but now that I'm caught up it's pretty easy.  Through some torrent searching I've found my all-time favorite old-school PC game all fixed up for use on today's faster machines.  X-Com is back, baby!  I have been playing this game constantly since I rediscovered it and will make the switch here in a few days to the sequel - X-Com II, Terror from the Deep.  If you can get our there and find it, this game has everything a turned based-strategy needs, whether you prefer micro-managing or combat.  Dork out on this, I dare you.

No comments: